Friday 21 June 2013

The Origins of Uncle Travelling Matt

The origin behind the name 'Uncle Travelling Matt' is a fairly simple one... but let me tell you anyway, as its not as simple as I'm and uncle and I like to travel. Close though!

Well, I had been sending these travel emails since I left for the UK in 2004. It was in Ireland the following year when I met up with a rugby mate of my brother's that I was given the name. I had just become an Uncle (I was in a pub when I heard the news, and it was on St Patricks Day), I was drinking with half of Dublin at the time, and since I liked to travel, he gave me name.

Lets go back a little on this one. If you were born in the 80s, or 70 possibly as well, you would remember a kid's television program called 'Fraggle Rock.' The main character had an uncle that, at the end of every episode, would send his nephew a letter, telling him all about the weird and wonderful places that he had seen. This is truly where the nickname came from - that with the coincidence of my first name.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Winter Walking

Sydneysider are so lucky to have mild winters Winter in Sydney be like Calm day on Middle Harbour Looking at how the other half live When it...