Sunday 28 July 2013

Beautiful Cardedeu

I am really lucky to be living here in Cardedeu. I know I am leaving soon, but I do know what I am missing. It is such a peaceful village, surrounded by fields and farms, but at the same time, there are so many things happening all year round that you never get bored!

The fields around Cardedeu
As far as festivals go there is the Festa del Foc (mentioned in a previous post), the Fira de Sant Isidre in May (which is like the Easter Show in Sydney), and of course Festa Major, which is in August. Festa Major (which I am eagerly awaiting) is a week long party - music, beer, friends, performaces... great fun! It's name 'Festa Major' means Major Party - and it is!

Castellers - part of Festa Major
There are many more, throughout the year, such as music festivals, arts and crafts (there is an antique fair every month), markets every Monday... the list goes on!

The Ajuntament of Cardedeu (Town Hall).
As far as the town goes, there are some amazing houses. These houses were built by wealthy people from Barcelona - Cardedeu really become popular as a weekend retreat from the 'Big Smoke' of Barcelona. You can see many of these house around Cardedeu, and even do a Modernist tour (The Modernist Era is the early part of the 20th Century when Guadi wis kicking about building things everywhere).

One of the Modernist houses in Cardedeu.
Cardedeu is very well situated too. 100 kms from the French border, 10 kms from the coast, and a 40 minute train ride into the centre of Barcelona. I much prefer living in a village, rather than a big city - and I'm feeling that more and more lately. In fact, soon I don't think I will even be able to live in a village - I think I am becoming a big of a recluse.

Sunset in Cardedeu.
Well, for anyone coming to Spain, or Catalonia, I have some good advice! First of all, call me and tell me you're coming, and we'll have a great time as I will show you round. If you don't know me, my advice is: Don't just see Barcelona (which is beautiful, but in my opinion slightly over-rated!), get out there and see the things that are so close to Barcelona, but much better. Let me give you an example.

The Sagrada Familia - Guadi's unfinished masterpiece.
Montserrat - this is the Catalan's sacred mountain, and only about 45 minutes away. Montserrat is the patron Saint of Catalonia. There is a cathedral halfway up, and plenty of walking over the mountain. It is a great spot for hiking, relaxing, and just taking in the fresh air - you're very high, and it seems like the top of the world! 

Montserrat at sunset.
My plan - enjoy it while I'm here. Cardedeu is a great place, and one place that will always remain in my heart and in my memory. I will be back!

The green fields and blue sky of Cardedeu.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Winter Walking

Sydneysider are so lucky to have mild winters Winter in Sydney be like Calm day on Middle Harbour Looking at how the other half live When it...